[iPhone and Web Services]: REST vs SOAP -


I have started a mobile application suitable for my degree project, iPhone, Android and (in the near future) Symbian.

  • Web service (for mobile connections), based on TomCat and Axis2;

    • Web site (for "Standard" users);
    • li>
    • For data of mySQL db storage users

    Surfing the Web, I have talked a lot about the interaction between the iPhone and the web services, and I do not have a clear idea of ​​what I can and can not do. I begin with the protocol used to obtain data from DB: Android-side application uses SOAP protocols, can I do the same with the iPhone? Are there some limitations or problems?

    I have also read about using REST instead of SOAP, is it possible with the server architecture described above? What are the main advantages / disadvantages?

    Sorry if these questions are called "n00b", but this is my first real experience with the iPhone and a lot of information found on the web came to my mind and I was afraid to be confused . Forgive me for any errors. Soap for mobile communication is just too heavy to wrap up the requests in an extra XML layer, all the work to do.

  • Why do you have to parse? You send more data than you need, and put more CPU loads on the customer and server.

    Use REST. If you are doing a cross-platform project, JSON makes a great payload container, otherwise the plists work well to send the data to the server.


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    c# - How to capture HTTP packet with SharpPcap -

    jquery - SimpleModal Confirm fails to submit form -

    php - Multiple Select with Explode: only returns the word "Array" -